Money Talks News’ recent article entitled “14 Added Benefits in the New Medicare Advantage Plans” says that the following “extra” benefits are offered by individual Medicare Advantage plans for 2022:
- Eye exams and/or eyeglasses: Provided by 98% of plans
- Fitness benefit: 97%
- Telehealth: 95%
- Hearing exams and/or hearing aids: 95%
- Dental benefit: 94%
- Prescription drug coverage: 89%
- Over-the-counter benefits (for items, such as adhesive or elastic bandages): 81%
- Meal benefit (such as a cooking class, nutrition education or meal delivery): 67%
- Transportation benefits: 38%
- Acupuncture: 36%
- In-home support services: 10%
- Bathroom safety devices: 8%
- Telemonitoring services: 3%
- Support for caregivers of Medicare enrollees: 3%
Remember that Original Medicare is the traditional Medicare program offered directly by the federal government.
Medicare Advantage plans are an all-in-one alternative offered by private insurance companies.
Switching to Medicare Advantage is also risky for seniors with Original Medicare, who also pay for a supplemental Medicare policy, also known as a Medigap policy.
If these seniors later decide to switch back to Original Medicare, they won’t necessarily be able to get the same Medigap policy back — or get a new Medigap policy at all.
Reference: Money Talks News (Nov. 4, 2021) “14 Added Benefits in the New Medicare Advantage Plans”